Honda Tuning
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

95 CIVIC EG HATCH BEST ENGINE SWAP FOR TURBO

EG95HATCH EG95HATCH
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/18/11
06:04 PM

I HAVE A 95 HATCH EG AND I WANNA SWAP ENGINES AND I HAVE TALKED TO SOME FRIENDS BUT IM NOT SURE WHAT TO *** THEY SAID TO SWAP IT WITH EITHER A B16A2 AND USE A DIFFERENT HEAD OR SHOULD I USE A B18 WITH A DIFFERENT HEAD? I CANT DECIDE I DONT KNOW WHICH WOULD BE BETTER IM THINKING A B16A2 WITH B20 HEAD AND CAMS FROM WHAT I HEARD? WHICH WOULD BE BETTER THOUGH B16A2 OR B18? AND SHOULD I DO DIFERRENT HEAD? AND WHICH TOO SORRY ABOUT THE THE CONFUSION JUST DONT WANNA SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY AND THEN DONT GET THE FULL POWER SPEED AND PERDORMANCE OUT OF THE ENGINE AND BOOST!  

K20egcw K20egcw
Enthusiast | Posts: 428 | Joined: 06/09
08:47 PM

Alright, first off you dont want to but a B20 head on there. They are the same as an LS head and they dont have VTEC. VTEC is something you're definitely going to want to keep. What B18 do you want to go with? Honestly, B16's are wack unless they are boosted (turboed) since they dont make *** for HP and TQ. If you get a non-VTEC B18 (like a B18a1) then your going to want to swap heads and put either an GSR (B18c1) head, or a  B16 head on it. If you get an older B18, your going to want to change the oil pump, timing belt, ect., that way you dont starve the motor of oil. If you get a new B18, then the oil pumps are the same. B20's with a VTEC head are the best B series you can build, but not exactly the easiest. The cheapest and easiest thing to do would be search around on your local CraigsList and look for a full GSR (B18c1) swap and use all OEM integra mounts and stuff to put it in. Then go from there once you get it running alright and everything is good.  

EG95HATCH EG95HATCH
09:11 PM

okay!! cool thanks! i needed someone who knew what they were talking about i was either thingking of doing a b18c1 obd1 or 2which is 93-95 or 96-01>>> or maybe even a b18c-r vtec 96-97 i think thats what it is... and i wanna boost but after the engine it will be awhile before i do!! but i wanna make sure its a good engine and im gonna make sure i switch that stuff out so it runs properly too and thanks for that heads up!! i was also gonna run an hydraulic lsd transmission too! good or bad? but if i do a b18c1 or the b18c-r which would be a better head swap or in your opinion based off of what i wanna do with boost? jw... i am also a little concerend of the compression ratio for boost too i forsure want a b18 though cuz i heard b16"s suck and ya are only good for boost but with tq and other stuff not worth the money! just dont wanna loose money and gain nothing haha  

K20egcw K20egcw
Posted: 07/19/11
02:31 PM

Any of the VTEC engines will be good, specially with boost. You wont need to change the heads either to see any real gains. Puttin a B16 head on a B18c1 is called a "poor mans type R" but honestly I like the GSR head better. The hydro transmission is also going to be a must in your car, your definitely going to want that. Cable trannys are crap. Only time you want to swap heads is if its a non-VTEC motor. If you're going boost then you're going to want a GSR tranny, they have nice gears for boost. What engine management do you plan on using? If you have a good EMS and a good tuner then you can boost an ITR motor and make nice power (high(er) compression is good with boost if done right). Do you have E85 where your at?  

EG95HATCH EG95HATCH
05:22 PM

WELL IF ANY VTEC WILL WORK THEN IM GONNA GO WITH THE B18C1 FOR NOW THEN AND LATTER EITHER JUST DO A FULL TYPE R (ITR) AND YA I WAS ALREADY RUNNUNG THE HYDRO ON IT LONG GEARS AND SMOOTHER TOO FOR SURE! AND IM NOT SURE WHAT ENGINE MANAGMENT YET STILL TRYING TO DECIDE... HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? I WAS ALSO THINGKING WITHOUT QUESTIUON ITS ALSO PROBABLY BEST TO THE EMS CHIPPED RIGHT? WELL IF THATS THE CASE THEN COMPRESSION SHOULDNT BE AN ISSUE THEN! AND YA THERE A4RE A FEW AROUND>>> WHY? IS E85 BETTER TO RUN?

AND IF I RUN ITR LATER WOULD IT BE BEST TO RUN B18C5 OR MAYBE SHOULD I RUN A KSERIOES LIKE K20 OR K24?... IDK CAUSE I FEEL AND WHAT I HEARD B18C5 WOULD BE GOOD... RIGHT?  

K20egcw K20egcw
08:14 PM

A B18c1 will be just fine and you can make quite a bit of power on just a stock motor boosted. As far as EMS goes, I would get a Hondata S300 and have somebody tune it on that. You wont need to chip anything with that, your tuner will just plug it into his laptop and tune away. I wouldnt boost anything over 11.5:1, anything more and you'll need to run some really high octane race gas to keep it from detonating. E85 is better to run because it burn really cool and has a higher octane rating (around 105 octane). You can also run more boost or compression with less timing being pulled since the cooler burning helps keep the detonation (knocking) down. If you run E85 you will have to run a bigger injector as well since it burns ~30-40% more fuel than regular gas.

If you can get a B18c/c5 and boost that, it would be a fun car. I honestly dont think you'll need to go from a GSR motor to an ITR though once your boosted cause you can make more than enough power for the street with it. K series is the top dog of Honda motors, so that would be better than a B18c5, but it also costs a nice chunk of change to put it in (especially if your going to turbo it). I'm sure with just a B18c1 you'll have plenty of fun with it for awhile, so just get that going and see what you want from there.  

EG95HATCH EG95HATCH
Posted: 07/20/11
01:52 AM

dang i know quite a bit but i got alot to learn still about tuning haha and alright i will get the s300 and try that out! and b18c1 seems decently cheap a good motor for a start!! ya i was figuring that too cause e85 is almost pure ethanol so it burns cooler but i was still curious ha... make sense on why to run that instead of regular gas!! well if i run e85 how much bigger will i need to make or get for injectors do you think? if ya have an idea?!?

and ya i have heard alot about the k series from what i know.seen and heard!! thats motor NS SERIES IS THE SUPERMAN OF ENGINES!! i think i will do something with that way later cause boost is going to cost a bit im prob already looking at between 4-7 grand prob for everything i need to boost, new motor and ems plus tuning!! but idk if i find a better deal on a b18c5 but then again this is the first time im gonna go all out and tune my civic so prob funner easier and safer to start with boost and the b18c1 then go further ... like ya said!!! thanks alot!!!

any more tips for clutches? cause i know thias is random but i was thing stage too short shifter or is that bad if i want to rev longer gears or higher too?  

K20egcw K20egcw
12:46 PM

With the injectors, get some ID1000's (Injector Dynamics) and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (like an Aeromotive). As for clutches, I would go with a Competition Stage 4. The short shifter doesnt really matter, the only thing you can do as far as an actual short shifter is changing actual shift level to help you shift quicker. The longer revving will all be on what transmission you run. The GSR tranny will be nice cause you get to your powerband quick yet still have a short enough gear to get through the gears quicker while still having long enough gears to keep traction.  

K20egcw K20egcw
12:47 PM

So pretty much when you get the GSR (B18c1) just swap that in, get it running right, and boost that with E85, larger injectors, and a good tune. You'll be golden  

EG95HATCH EG95HATCH
06:40 PM

COOL!! THANKS ALOT FOR THE INPUT LAST QUESTION AND I CAN STOP BUGGING YA HAHA WHAT S300 SYSTEM DO YOU SUGEST I WAS THINGKING HONDA DATA BUT EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING AEM>>>  

EG95HATCH EG95HATCH
06:40 PM

COOL!! THANKS ALOT FOR THE INPUT LAST QUESTION AND I CAN STOP BUGGING YA HAHA WHAT S300 SYSTEM DO YOU SUGEST I WAS THINGKING HONDA DATA BUT EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING AEM>>>  

K20egcw K20egcw
Posted: 07/21/11
04:10 PM

Hondata S300 is going to be better IMO. I had a friend with AEM and it would lose his tunes.  

EG95HATCH EG95HATCH
Posted: 07/23/11
06:48 PM

COOL COOL.... I WILL DO THAT THEN THANKS FOR THE INFO!! I APPRECIATE IT!! DO YA MIND IF I HIT YOU UP FOR ANY OTHER QUESTIONS OR JUST OPNIONS FROM SOMEONE WHO TUNES AND HAD EXPIERENCE?  

K20egcw K20egcw
Posted: 07/24/11
01:10 AM

Naw I dont mind at all. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask and i'll do what I can to help you out and send you in the right direction.  

betty2013 betty2013
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 08/26/13
03:08 AM

so  cool.  i also  get  the  answer  to my  issue  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last